A roundup of the best yoga music
Whether you want to tune into your chakras or to simply shake your booty, music can help you get there. Music during yoga practice can inspire, invigorate, calm, or soothe. Quick vibrations and inspiring lyrics can lift your spirits, while low tones and chanting may help draw your focus inward.
Try using music during only part of your practice. Sun salutations can be a nice time to turn on music and help you move in a creative flow, letting go of stress and structure often found in our workday or life responsibilities. Music later in your practice could aid you in finding energy and drive for standing strength and balance postures. Try turning the music off for your cool-down and savasana, allowing your mind to truly turn inward.
Listening to new music will keep your practice fresh and help keep you coming back to your mat. Every so often, try practicing to a new style or piece of music that you wouldn’t normally listen to. Observe how it feels with non-judgment. Being open to new possibilities and getting out of routine improves openness and flexibility of mind. If you don’t like it, the risk is small. You can go back to your favorite songs tomorrow. Be open to the possibility that stepping out of your comfort zone might bring something wonderful to your life or quite possibly provide you with new insight into yourself.
What do you listen to? Post your favorite yoga grooves in the comments section below.
Shake it up with these great yoga playlists.
Playlist for a Flowing, Freeing Practice
- Teyata – Steve Gold
- Ek Ong Kar Sat Nam – Snatam Kaur
- Shri Krishna Govinda – Jai Uttal
- Om Hari Om – Sean Johnson and the Lotus Band
- Om Namah Shivaya – Steve Gold
- There is So Much Magnificence – Steve Gold
Music for Internal Focus
- Returning (full album) – Jennifer Berezan
- Didgeridoo Solo (full album) – Ondrej Smeykal
- Gayatri Mantra – Bruce Becvar & Nada Shakti
Playlist for the Indie Yogi
- Try (Just a Little Harder) – Janis Joplin
- Ganesh is Fresh – MC Yogi
- Taxi Cab – Vampire Weekend
- High – James Blunt
- Crazy, Crazy, Crazy – Michael Franti & Spearhead
- Talkin’ Bout A Revolution – Tracy Chapman
- Night After Sidewalk – Kaki King
HealthyYogaMom is written by Tess, a writer and mother of two who is passionate about health, happiness, and a sustainable living on the planet. Learn more about Tess here.